Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2-28-12

7:30am

I started working on the cupcakes for the contest this morning.


I poked holes in them all with a skewer and spooned the
sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce over top and
let them sit awhile to soak up everything.
They tasted ok but I didn't see where they soaked
up everything in the holes I poked plus they were
sticky to hold and eat.
Soooo, I am now going to resort
back to plan "A" and make the Better Than Sex cake
in a casserole dish. A baker who bakes things for contests
never buys just enough ingredients to bake one thing,
they buy double the ingredients so if you need to
remake it to improve it, you don't have to run back
to the store. And that's exactly what I did last night,
bought double the ingredients. And it's a good thing
because I am remaking it all. We won't let those
cupcakes go to waste though! Those will be dessert or after school
snacks now.


--------------------------------------------------------


4:40pm


I got the Better Than Sex cake done.
This has to have a million calories in it, lol.
It's made with a milk chocolate cake mix
made according to directions on box.
Then once baked and cooled some, you poke holes
into the top of it with the back end of a wooden spoon.


Then pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over
top and down into the holes. Next pour caramel
sauce or syrup over that. I used Hershey's caramel syrup.



In a bowl combine small box of vanilla instant
pudding, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 3/4 to 1 cup milk.
Mix together until well combined. Then fold in
a whole container of thawed cool whip.
Spread this over top the cake.
Sprinkle chocolate covered heath bits on top
then drizzle more caramel over top.
(It originally calls for topping the
cake with just cool whip and the toffee and caramel.
And if you know me I had to jazz it up a bit
to put my original mark on it, lol)


Closeup of top of cake. YUMMY!
I gained 10 pounds just looking at it!


And....
The office at Tony's work said to bring the dessert
in tomorrow because that's when they are having the contest.
They just asked the residents to have their baked
good in by this evening so the judging can begin
tomorrow. Oh well, I won't get to be there for it.
All I can say is at least it's all done and ready to go.
It'll have time to sit and soak up all the ooey gooey
stuff that's on it. Kind of like marinating it so
the flavors come together. Hoping for a lot of
PMSing women to show up with a sweet tooth!! LMAO!!


And if that was not enough...
I got supper baking in the oven.
We're having hash brown casserole.
And that's a hash brown casserole made with
homemade hash browns, not a bag of frozen,
store bought.
I had to try out another food processor attachment, lol.
So here is Christopher shredding potatoes in the
food processor, The Oster Kitchen Center.
The best $12 I ever spent!



I used about 6-8 peeled potatoes shredded
and mixed with 1/2 cup butter.
Stir in a can of cream of chicken soup,
2 cups sour cream, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese,
chopped onions (I used onion powder instead),
salt, pepper. Plus the recipe didn't call for this
but I added a 10 ounce package of ham (cut into
small pieces).
Then in a small bowl add 1/4 cup of melted butter
along with 2 cups corn flakes and stir.
Sprinkle those over top of hash brown mixture.
Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment