Friday, May 25, 2012

5-25-12

11:30am
Back from yard sales early.
There wasn't very many sales today
due to Memorial Day weekend.
I only bought three things,
-small toolbox for .50 cents.
I need this to store MY tools in like
hammer, screwdrivers, pliers and screws in.
I had some of my tools in the kitchen drawer
but they all disappeared.  So this
will be my secret stash of tools. 
I thought about painting my tool handles
pink making the boys less likely to use them, lol.
-Ceramic hair straightener $1.00
Even though it is a straightener I am going
to use it to give my hair body and wavy ends.
Check out how with this You Tube video. 

-Large angel for .75 cents.
I got this to give to mom for Christmas.
She likes angels and sparkly things
so I was planning on painting the angel's
gown with some glitter paint and the wings
a pearl iridescent.


After not finding too many yard sales I
wanted to stop by Marcs in Westerville
to check out their plants.

They had 20 packs of petunias for $4.97
and I got 2 packs.
I plan to turn my PVC pipe $2.45 into a flower tower planter.
Plus I need a bag of compost manure from Menards
to make it, $1.38.
TOTAL COST TO MAKE A 5 FOOT TALL 
FLOWER TOWER WITH 40 PETUNIAS, SOIL
AND PVC PIPE-  $13.83.
I have an extra 1/2" pvc pipe I plan to drill
small holes in and run down the middle
of the larger pipe then fill soil around it.
That way I can water the tower from the top
and down the smaller pipe to be able to get to each flower.
To buy a premade flower tower only 3 foot high
with no flowers, soil or watering tube 
would run you about $25 to $30.


I also found that they had black mulch
marked down to $1.00 a bag because
they were opened or tore.
I got 7 bags, a bag for in front
of the 7 fence panels out back for the rose flower bed.
I still would like to get 7 bags of
composted manure from Menards for $1.38 each.
So for the moment I have spent
$24.50 on 14 roses (still might take back about
half of those to the store this weekend)
$7.00 for mulch
and it will cost $9.66 for 7 bags manure.
And any additional flower seeds I might plant
cost .03 cents a pack, let's say 10 packs for .30 cents.
TOTAL COST TO MAKE A 56 FEET LONG 
BY 2.5 TO 3 FEET WIDE ROSE/FLOWER BED
INCLUDING SOIL, MULCH & ROSES/FLOWERS
$41.16
And that's before taking back 7 rose plants.
Then it would cost $28.66 for all.


Plus I have all the free rose cuttings
I got from Tony's work that I'm going
to try and get to root to make rose bushes out of.
Did you know that instead of buying a rooting hormone
to apply to the stems of the cuttings to prevent
disease or rot while growing you can
dip the stems in honey or cinnamon instead.
Will have to try both on different stems
to see how they turn out. 


--------------------------------------------------


7:00pm


A little warm out to do anything outside.
I did dig up a little more grass in the soon
to be flower bed but that was because
part of that area was in the shade.
Little by little is better than nothing.
Gotta close three pools tonight.
Wish it was bedtime because the
heat makes you tired.


--------------------------------------------------


10:00pm


Just got back from closing the pools.
I get nervous when we close pools
and there are people still at them.
I always worry that someone may refuse
to leave or be drunk and aggressive.
So far it hasn't happened but ya just never
know with all the weirdos out there.


One pool is across from the bulk trash area
where people are supposed to
put furniture and larger items that they
no longer want.
Well the kids found 2 boxes of
matching dishes tonight.
Maybe an 8 serving set between the two.
I didn't check it out a whole lot
as I put them in the truck and wanted
to get back home.  And they are still in the truck.
Two more nights of closing pools
and I don't look forward to it.
People go to the pool to party
especially for Memorial weekend
and bring coolers of beer with them.
By 9:00pm they can be really toasted.
Oh well, we'll just take it one day
at a time and hope for the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment