Tuesday, June 19, 2012



Was watching Good Day Columbus (ch28) and 
saw them making this recipe below 
that sounded good for supper tonight.
When it's going to be really hot outside
I like to use my crock pot instead of my oven 
to keep the temps down inside our home.
Don't want to make that air conditioner work
any harder than it has to!
I have it set at 75 degrees.
When it's 90 something out 75 degrees will
feel wonderful inside!  No need to set it
in the 60's which only causes a much higher electric bill.  
Keep curtains and blinds closed and cover any windows
with towels or blankets that get any direct sunlight
to help keep it dark in your home to keep it cooler. 
I just covered our East and West facing windows.

Slow-Cooked Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches
by Adrienne Hasty, Positively Cooking 
2-3 lb. pork shoulder [or boneless, skinless chicken breast]
1 teriyaki spice packet [optional, found in spice aisle]
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 (6 oz.) can pineapple juice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
Pineapple, sliced, to garnish
8 whole-wheat hamburger rolls


2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. ginger, chopped
2 tsp. garlic, chopped 

In small bowl, combine teriyaki mix, paprika and pepper. Rub pork or chicken with mixture, until all rub is used. Set aside.

In a bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce, and pineapple juice. Set aside.

Put the chopped onions and pepper in your slow cooker. Add pork or chicken on top and pour HALF of the pineapple juice mixture over pork [reserving remainder for Hawaiian sauce.]

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours, until the meat falls apart easily. Remove the roast from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Using 2 forks carefully pull the meat into shreds.

For Hawaiian Sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add ginger and remaining half of pineapple juice mixture, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Serve pork or chicken on a whole-wheat roll, topped with pineapple slices, and drizzled with the Hawaiian sauce. 



Working on the Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe
from above. I have to make some changes to the recipe
using the ingredients I have on hand.
Instead of making sandwiches 
(which we are getting tired of after eating them all weekend)
I plan to serve this over some white rice.

4 pork chops (Free)
1 Kikkoman meat marinade packet (.25 cents),
1/2 cup hot water with chicken boullion for chicken broth (free),
1/2 cup brown sugar (.25 cents),
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (.25 cents),
can of chili with beans (.10 cents),
1 can crushed pineapple with juice (.50 cents)
handful of dehydrated onions (free),
frozen & chopped green bell peppers (free),
White rice (.10 cents)
ground ginger (free)
and jarred minced garlic (.05 cents).

Total cost for my ingredients used

My ingredients were either on sale in a mark down bin,
gotten with sales and coupons,
gotten from mom from the senior center when they
were giving out free food from Kroger,
given as a gift,
bought cheaply at the flea market or
Tony found it at his work.

To make I added all ingredients except
pork chops and meat marinade packet
into a food processor and gave it a whirl.
I wanted to grind down the beans, onions
and bell peppers so they weren't visible
to the kids.  Then I poured it all into 
the crock pot.  I laid the pork chops on top
and sprinkled with the meat marinade mix
and set it on high.



When we were staying in the hotel and having
breakfast I snatched up 4 bananas and brought them home.
I'm thinking about making some peanut butter
banana bread this week BUT not in the oven.
Might try it in the crock pot instead.

Oh yeah, I even swiped the extra roll of toilet
paper and all the toiletries from the hotel room as well.
Hey, if I paid for it, it's coming with me!

I will have to say this, The Baymont Inn was much
better than Days Inn.
While the trip and everything worked out for us ok
I think next time I will book a different hotel even if
it's a little further away from the track.
I have never stayed at a Days Inn before, this was our first.
Even another guest we talked to at this hotel
that stayed there because of going to the race Sunday
said that next time they will find a different hotel.

The Days Inn at Swanton

-Foreign employees which brought their children
to work with them as I kept seeing the one child
go in and out of the kitchen door area that said
employees only area and grabbing a gallon of milk and then going back and staying in one of the rooms.

-the breakfast wasn't as good.  Pretty simple stuff put out
and you had to make your own waffles if you wanted any.
They offered varieties of plain cereal like cheerios or
cornflakes and only one cereal for kids which looked like Apple Jacks as they were all in some kind of unmarked gadget that you had to twist the knob to dispense.  The milk was in a pitcher on the counter.  Egg patties that needed warmed up in the microwave
were placed in a casserole dish left on the counter
every morning. Breakfast is 3-4 hours long there
so who knows how long eggs are left on the counter
not being properly stored.
Oh yeah, the bananas they laid out on the counter was green.
Not even partially ripened yet!

-The rooms had small fridges and no microwaves.
If you wanted to use the microwave you had
to use the one in the dining room where the desk
clerk would watch and stare at you the whole
time wondering what you were doing.
The fridge felt warm and after looking it over
I realized it wasn't on the maximum coolest setting.
Then I noticed the top seal of the door was
black with grime/mold? and was disgusting and should
of been wiped down.

-The toiletries they gave you were a joke.
We booked a double bed room for a family of 4.
They gave you a bottle of shampoo, conditioner
and lotion that was literally about the size of my thumb.
No combs, toothbrushes or toothpaste like
other hotels would give you.
They did give you a packet of coffee for the coffee
maker which was Folgers.  But who knows how long
that packet had been around in the hotel as
Tony said the coffee was horrible after making it.
I have Folgers at home and he's never complained about it.

-If you wanted to shower I didn't see any bath towels anywhere.
Lucky for us we had beach towels.
The only towels they had looked smaller than a dish towel.
One looked like it might of been part of a bigger towel
and cut down to make it smaller as there was no 
finished edges on it.
We booked the room for 4 people and they only gave us
2 dish towels as I call them and 3 wash cloths.

-They have an exercise room which we used the first
day there.  One of the machines was broke and
laying in pieces.

-The pool area and hot tub was working and nice.
The only problem was the sign said it was
open til 11:00pm and there was only
2 of the 4 small pot lights in the ceiling working.
Very poorly lit in there for a late night swim.
We swam one evening til 10pm to know
the lights weren't working well. 

-I read reviews before staying at this hotel.
One report was that the rooms smelled.
I did pack some spray air freshener for our room
in a suitcase.  I did have to use it ALOT upon entering
our room for the first time.  It smelled
so bad of stale cigarettes and I'm a smoker
and could pick up on the scent.  

-Had to go to the desk to get the code for 
the free Wi-Fi.  While it worked ok on my computer,
the kids said it ran really really slow on theirs.

-I tried to set the alarm clock a few mornings
so we could get up in time.  The lettering on the clock
of what buttons or levers you should push to set
the alarm were all worn away so it was like playing
a guessing game and hoping you set it correctly. 

-You were supposed to use a hotel key card to
enter the building and the pool area.
Anyone could walk into those areas
as the doors were left unlocked and 
could be used without your card.

-Right outside our hotel room window
was a pile of broken floor tiles beside the bush.

-When I checked us in the hotel I figured I'd
be asked for some sort of ID to verify I was
the person who booked the room.
I was not asked for any.  
All he asked was for my name and address verbally.

-The hotel sat directly in front of a small airport
and had a railroad not far from there.
I 80/90 wasn't far from there.
There wasn't much around the hotel.
You had to drive about 5 miles to go into the town
which we didn't mind to go to McDonalds and Kroger.
The train didn't bother us and there was no planes
flying the whole time we were there until
8:00am when we were about to leave Monday morning.
That is when several fighter jets were taking
off and landing at the airport. VERY LOUD!
Good thing we didn't try and sleep in.



Might go lay down a bit and still try to recoup
from this weekend.
I told the kids they were not allowed out today til
maybe this evening.  It's too hot outside
and I don't want them running in and out causing
the air conditioner to run more than it has to.


Not feeling with it today.  No energy at all.
Still fighting a cold and cough.
Legs are soooo sore.
My temp is 99 so slightly above normal.
Hope it doesn't keep rising.
Air quality alert issued for Wednesday.
92 degrees today,
92 degrees Wednesday,
91 degrees Thursday.
The average high is 86 degrees
with a low of 63 degrees. 
The only thing loving these temps are
the tomatoes.  Will probably give the garden
a soaking this evening when the sun is going down.
For now I'm going to go lay back down
and watch some tv til Tony gets home. 


Got the garden watered good.
Wanted to show you how tall my tomatoes 
are getting, up to my waist and chest now in some areas.
They are growing a couple inches every couple of
days as I have to keep twisting them up 
the string trellis.  All three varieties
(Early Girl, Sweet 100 and Master Beef)
all have tomatoes growing on them.

 The tomatoes were planted from little starts 51 days ago
on May 9th.

These white Easter Lilies all bloomed.

And these yellow flowers.  Don't know
what they are.  They come back every year.

I think I'm going to go lay back down.
Don't know if y'all noticed but I was
in my PJ's out in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment