Thursday, December 29, 2011

12-29-11

11:00am

Still working on laundry. I've gotten most of the clothes
washed and put away and are now working on blankets
and towels.

While I just made a big pot of ham & bean soup
yesterday I am working on the next crock pot meal.
I'm trying to stay one step ahead of the game.
You never know when someone will be sick
and don't feel like cooking. Eating out
gets costly over time so I like to get some
meals made up ahead of time and put into the
freezer. You still get a homemade meal
even though you are taking from the
freezer and just warming it up.

Today I will be making salisbury steak with
a tomato gravy. It'll be served with some
mashed potatoes and a canned veggie of some sort.

1.5 to 2 pounds hamburger (free)
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup bread crumbs (.75 cents)
1 egg (.08 cents)
1 can tomato soup (.25 cents)
1 single serve can tomato juice (free)
dehydrated onions (free)
beef boullion (.05 cents)
worcestershire sauce (.05 cents)
liquid smoke (.05 cents)
mustard (free)
salt & pepper
onion powder

Combine hamburger, bread crumbs & egg then form
into patties and fry in skillet. Remove and drain grease.

Add remaining ingredients to skillet and bring to
just before boil point. Add a slurry of 1 tablespoon
of cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of water if tomato
gravy isn't thick enough. I also found a little
bit of leftover bbq sauce that I threw in there
as well.


Serve over mashed potatoes ($1.00)

Total cost to make- $2.28


--------------------------------------------------------


12:15pm

Ham & Bean Soup




Salisbury Steak




------------------------------------------------------------


3:00pm

Well I now know why we don't take vacations
during the Winter months or Christmas season,
it's boring being cooped up inside with nothing
to do.

I was waiting on a load of laundry to finish
when I decided to slap a little yellow paint
on one of the walls in my laundry room
just to see what it would look like.
It wasn't done with a roller or anything like
that so it would need another coat for sure.
It's still wet.



----------------------------------------------------


4:45pm


Got hungry and made me a cheap snack.
I took a 1 1/2 pound jar of applesauce .59 cents
and added a packet of strawberry Kool Aid to it
.10 cents and made flavored applesauce for .69 cents.
No need to buy the strawberry or berry flavored
applesauce that could cost more when you can
make your own.

You could also use this and spread out on
a tray in your dehydrator and make fruit pleather
aka fruit roll ups.



-----------------------------------------------------------


7:30pm

Supper

I ended up with 6 servings.
2 of those got dished up individually
for the freezer for Tony's lunches at work.



I make our own individual entrees for lunches throughout
the week. Much cheaper, healthier and more filling
than buying those Budget Entrees for .99 cents each!
All it takes is a few leftovers from a meal to make one.
I always try to make a little bit more each
time I make supper so I have another serving
to put back in the freezer.


Tomorrow I plan to make a couple lasagnas.
One to eat tomorrow and one or two for the freezer.

Then I was sitting here trying to figure out
other meals and this is what I came up with-

Sausage, egg, cheese & potato burritos

Cabbage Roll soup-
I have leftover tomato gravy from tonight's
supper that will go towards this soup.

Fried cabbage with potatoes & sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment