Tuesday, September 25, 2012

9-25-12

7:15am


This morning wasn't too bad temperature wise.
It was 50 degrees compared to yesterday's 40.
Could see some flashes of lightning off in the
distance so once I got back home from the 
bus stop I removed my comforters
I had hanging on the clothesline since last night.
They were pretty much dry.


Was thinking about making up some cream filled cookies.
Jonathan has requested a cookie with a filling
so this is what I found that looked simple.
 They are called Melting Moments because
they literally "melt" in your mouth.  It is the corn starch
in the recipe that makes this cookie so tender.
I don't have raspberries for the filling so will just make
the recipe without them.  OR I could add a little
raspberry flavored dry jello mix instead.

MELTING MOMENTS


INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

For Raspberry filling:

1/4 unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
3/4 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
6 small frozen raspberries, thawed


DIRECTIONS


In a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Sift flour and cornstarch over butter mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined and a soft dough forms. Refrigerate for 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.


Shape into 1/2-inch balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using a fork dipped in flour, lightly flatten each ball until 1/2-inch thick. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden. Cool on tray for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


Meanwhile, make raspberry filling: Using a whisk, beat butter in a bowl until light and creamy. Add vanilla. Whisk to combine. Add icing sugar. Whisk until well combined. Stir in raspberries.


Lay out half the cookies and spread with a small amount of filling. Sandwich together with an uniced cookie. Serve dusted with icing sugar.

Some people will press a fork into the tops
of the cookies before baking kinda like
a peanut butter cookie.
Chocolate Chip-Filled Melting Moments 


 ----------------------


 This was actually posted on Tee Jaye's Country Place's
Facebook page today!

Bacon, pork shortage 'now unavoidable,' industry group says

The article says there will be a worldwide shortage
of pork next year due to the drought 
which hurt the soybean and corn crops this year.
Time to stock up on pork products NOW.
If I have the extra money I will usually buy an extra
ham each year and put one back for the following
Christmas dinner.  I do the same with turkeys.
Unfortunately I do not
have an extra ham or turkey put back for this year
due to a money shortage last year at Christmas time.
So if you see a sale on pork be sure to pick
up a few extras.


9:20am


Got half the cookies done.
Will give these to the boys for an after school snack today.
I decided to use peanut butter
mixed with powdered sugar for the filling.
It was a lot easier for me.
Needs the powdered sugar topping
or rolled in powdered sugar.
I tasted one without it and it was bland!


3:15pm


Body's feeling achy.  Popped a few Tylenol.
I'm going to chalk it up to rain (sprinkles) and cool weather
and try not to think about the Crohn's.

Supper tonight is Chicken Mac.



Boil up elbow macaroni in some
homemade chicken broth and water
then add in a packet of sausage flavored
country gravy mix and some chopped up leftover chicken.
You could also throw in some peas and carrots.
My kids don't like peas but will eat them if I mix
them in casseroles and dishes like this.
Sprinkle with a little salt and parmesan cheese
serve with bread and butter and call it a meal.
I'm all about simple, quick and easy today.



This past weekend we went to Meijers to grocery shop.
While there I picked up 5 pound bags of potatoes
for $1.00 each, bought 15 pounds.
10 pound bags have been running around $3 or more.
Mom has also told me that Aldis has
10 pound bags of potatoes for $2.00.

If you happen to go to Speedway gas stations
be on the lookout for .50 cents off 2 candy bar
coupons on displays.  I think it's for Payday,
Butterfinger or Nestle Crunch.
Snatch some up and use at Kroger.
Those candy bars are 2 for $1.00.
Use the coupon to make it FREE! 
I got 2 butterfingers and 2 crunch bars for free yesterday.





No comments:

Post a Comment