Friday, September 28, 2012

9-28-12

12:45pm


Well I spent $19 of the $20 I had at
a one yard sale today!
 Most of it will be put back for Christmas gifts.

Plastic train layout with HO track.  $4.00
(Christopher)

Wooden OSU yard sign .25 cents
(grandpa)

38 tubs of never been opened playdough .50 cents for all.
(Christopher & Jonathan)

2 soft sided Hummer lunch boxes .25 cents each
brand new, was still wrapped in plastic that I removed.

I got the lunch boxes above to put the playdough in
for gift giving for the boys.

3 pairs of brand new reading glasses
with price tags of $7.86 still on them ($23.58 value)
.25 cents each pair.
(Tony)

3 new bottles of Turtle Wax,
2 swivel sockets and another tool.
Don't remember the name of it but I know
we used something like it when removing
the fuel pump on the truck, wasn't cheap
and was made of plastic and ended up returning to the store.
.25 cents each.
(Tony)

2 Halloween masks (yes the other eye glows on the skull mask it just didn't show up in the photo), glow in the dark wig
and a bag of 250 water balloons.  .25 cents each.
I got the water balloons for the Winter season
to make frozen colored water glass to decorate
the yard with.  Check out how to make them >HERE< .

Dracula cape .25 cents.

Dress up clothes in box $2.00
(friend's grandchild)




This was the only item purchased at another yard sale.
Mini cooler .50 cents.
I got this specifically to put our fishing bait in.

And lastly I found this COMPLETE Oster kitchen set for mom. 
$7.50 for ALL!  
I have this set and love it!!  The only thing I don't
have is the extra pasta accessory set which
must of been sold separately from the main kitchen center set.
Might keep that for myself because mom
doesn't make homemade pasta. 
I like that it is an all in one base with motor
with different attachments.  No need to
buy different appliances!
I have yet to find this complete set with a box
even on Ebay!
The complete set without the pasta maker
will run you $100 to $200 on Ebay.
The past maker attachment with accessories runs
$20 to $40 on Ebay. 
It's a 
-Blender
-Mixer
-Dough Maker
-Grinder
-Food Processor
-Pasta Maker 
-also has small and large glass bowls.
The lady told me she got this set when she got married years ago
and has since replaced it with newer appliances.
I told her I tried that route with newer appliances
and they broke soon after purchasing. 
I believe some things made now a days
are made so cheaply compared to 25-30+ years ago
when they were made to last.




While out this morning me and mom stopped in
Allen Jewelers.  I have a ring that lost a garnet in it
and I wanted to see how much to get repaired.
Actually mom was going to have it repaired
as one of my Christmas gifts because 
she wanted to buy me jewelry and I told
her I didn't want any. 
Anyways here is the supposed to be 3 heart garnet, 
16 diamond and gold
ring I bought off Ebay years ago for about $60.
(Just found another ring similar to this on
Ebay for $239!!)

The one heart garnet under the shoulder
on the right fell out and went missing.
They want about $60+ to fix 3 prongs and replace garnet.
(at $10 a prong plus the cost of the heart garnet)
Well I had to say no to getting it fixed at that price.
I still left the ring with them (jeweler was not 
in when we visited).  I wanted to know what
size or carat the missing garnet was.
I can find a cheap one on Ebay and try to
jimmy rig it in their myself.
They offered to buy my gold ring for scrap
and I got to keep the stones for $86.
Would have been a $26 profit but I opted to 
keep my ring.

Instead of getting this garnet ring fixed
mom is getting my wedding ring repaired.
Last year I took it to Allens to get resized down
because it was loose fitting.
Well a couple days later after picking it
up I lost a small diamond.  I think it was
because the band was reshaped and streched
and that's why it fell out.
So my Christmas gift from mom
is getting the stone replaced and repaired for $20. 

----------------------------------

Earlier I was talking about how sometimes I like
buying the older things instead of newer because of
their quality.  I'd like to give another example of it.
A couple years ago we purchased an Expedition.
Sure it was pretty to look at and that was about it.
It started having numerous problems and that's
when we discovered that even a backyard mechanic
could not work on these vehicles. 
We could not even change the spark plugs ourself
and it cost over $100 to have a garage do it for us.
The motor was too complicated to work on.
That's when I decided I would like a similar and simpler truck
but one with a 350 in it.  Those I know how to work on!
It would be cheaper to be able to work on our
own vehicles rather than sending it to a shop
to be repaired.  So away went the Expedition
and along came the Suburban.  It may not be the prettiest
and has scuffs, scrapes and dents which I don't mind at all.
My saying is that those imperfections add character
to the vehicle and it has a story to tell
just like a person with scars.
I don't make memories with scrapbooks
I make them with my vehicle.
The dents in my hood and fender came from the last
owner hitting a deer.  The dent and scrape in my door
was from where a snow plow hit it with it's blade.
The little pings on top of the vehicle came from the night
Tony was on call at work and we had a major hail storm.
The scrape down the side was from the 
bow echo storm that blew through leaving us without
power for several days and trying to drive around fallen
trees in the roadway.  The scuff marks on the side and
hood are from kids playing on bikes and with basketballs.
The little gash around the stereo was where 
a bad man stole the stereo out of it.
The stains on the carpet are from all the times
we felt as though we lived out of our truck
with food, drinks, dirt, rain and everything
we've ever hauled in it.  The tore seats are from
us sitting on them more than we sit on the 
furniture in our home.    
Sure it has over 200,000 miles but you can only
imagine what that truck has seen or been through.
We have the memories of the gatherings with family,
friends and neighbors around the truck and sharing stories while working on it or just hanging out.
It's considered another family member.
Even though it cannot talk it can still share
the memories.  It's like a book
but with no words, only pictures to tell it's story.
So don't ever judge a book by it's cover.
Because even if it's ugly on the outside
it sure has one heck of a story to tell on the inside.
My truck is my scrapbook that hold lots of memories
with all it's flaws, my home away from home.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment