Monday, September 12, 2011

9-12-11

7:30am

I love back to school. I've got 2 kids
home from school today. One throwing up,
the other has been running a fever.
I can't stress enough how important it is
to wash your hands before eating, after playing,
after using the restroom and when everyone is sick.


--------------------------------------------------

Do you ever get into a baking & cooking rut and get
tired of eating the same things over and over again.
I think this cooler air is starting to put me
in a cooking mood. I watch the food channel,
look at recipes online and look through numerous
recipe magazines to get ideas of different things
I can make for cheap. Most of the time I just browse
recipes to get ideas because more than likely
I don't have all the ingredients to make them exact
so I end up making my own versions.

Today I'm going to make Mexican Lasagna,
something I've never made before.
I got the idea HERE.
But, here are the ingredients I will be using for it
in the photo along with some leftover shredded cheese.
And instead of a rectangular casserole dish,
I found a round one the size of the tortillas.
And because I cannot afford hamburger at $3 and something a pound
I will be using ground turkey instead at $1.30 a pound from Aldi.


I'm also wanting to make some Ribbon Pumpkin Bread.
I will omit the raisins, nuts and dates as I don't have those.
And instead of using a regular loaf pan I will
use mini loaf pans. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin
but this is pretty good with the cream cheese in it.
I made it one year for Thanksgiving and did it
in a bundt pan. You could also drizzle a powdered
sugar mixed with milk and vanilla on top and sprinkled
with nuts.

My only problem I have is that my mixer isn't working
properly. My beaters keep clanging together.
So instead I will "beat" things together either
by hand or in my food processor. I have a backup
mixer somewhere around here that I've been
saving if ever my mixer went on the blitz.
But I've held onto it so long now that I don't
know where I put it in the basement. That
would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack
at the moment. So will have to make do with my
other options at this time.

-----------------------------------------------

10:30am

Got 10 mini loaves of ribbon pumpkin bread in the oven.
My changes to the recipe above-

For the bread batter-
I didn't have any cloves so added allspice.
Only used 2 1/2 cups sugar.

Cream cheese layer-
I didn't have two 8 ounce cream cheese, only one.
I mixed in some dry vanilla pudding mix and milk,
added a teaspoon of vanilla and an egg
to help bind it altogether.


---------------------------------------------------

11:00pam

Pumpkin bread fresh out of the oven.
Too bad the screen isn't scratch and sniff
because it smells so good in here.


--------------------------------------------------

Free sample of Icy Hot naturals pain relief cream.


-------------------------------------------------

Play Kroger's Kick Off To Savings game.
I just played and won Nescafe's Taster's Choice coffee!

-------------------------------------------------

4:30pm

Mexican Lasagna just went into oven.

In addition to the packet of taco rice I also
made up 2 servings of minute rice and mixed
with the taco rice.

I didn't have any sour cream to put on top
but I had a smidgen of ranch dressing left in
a bottle and put that on top instead.

In round casserole dish I added-
little spaghetti sauce,
tortilla,
rice,
tortilla,
spaghetti sauce,
ground turkey,
shredded cheese,
repeat.

Top layer-
tortilla,
shredded cheese,
ranch dressing

1 pound ground turkey- $1.30
1 pkg large flour tortillas- .89 cents
jar of spaghetti sauce- free
Leftover shredded cheese- $1.50
taco seasoning- free
taco rice mix- free
minute rice- free
leftover ranch dressing- free

Total cost to make $3.69
Not sure how many servings it makes but I can tell you this-
IT WEIGHS 9 POUNDS!


-------------------------------------------------

I reserved 2 mini loaves of mini bread for
us to eat now and the rest I wrapped up in foil
and put into gallon zip bags and put into the
freezer.


The foil sheets were a manager special at .69 cents!


-------------------------------------------------

6:00pm

Tony just got home from working a little over.
He says he has the pager again Tuesday and Wednesday.
We're talking about going to Indian Lake this weekend.
We'll see how everyone feels then.

Time for supper.


-----------------------------------------------

8:20pm

The Harvest Moon tonight.


Stopped in Kroger tonight to get some more milk.
I think it would be cheaper to buy the cow
with as much of it as we go through.
While there Jonathan found a Kroger coupon
for a free box of Duncan Hine's cake mix.
I got Devils Food cake mix. I see some black
bottom cupcakes in the near future.
I also bought Christopher a Sharp calculator
for .75 cents. In the seasonal isle
you can sometimes find things marked down.
I saw things for 75% off and the calculator
was one of them.

After Kroger we went over to Tony's work
and picked up a Schwinn bicycle that
someone left behind after moving out.
It's still in the truck so no pics at the moment.
I have a severe headache and don't feel like
doing much more this evening.

Whelp it's 9:00, time to go watch a little
Lizard Lick Towing on TruTV. That show can be sooo funny.
The one guy has a saying for everything like,
that person is nuttier than a squirrel turd.

No comments:

Post a Comment