Tuesday, September 6, 2011

9-6-11

9:15am

Slowly feeling a little better. Still feel tired though
but that could be from staying up a little past my bedtime
to get the laundry all done and then turning around
and getting up at 6:00am.

Just got supper put in the crock.
Making what I call Rib Busters.

I found a package of pork ribs that
were originally $9.44 marked down to $2.76.
A savings of $6.68!!!
I added a bottle of bbq sauce I got with
coupons for .50 cents in to a crock
and added the pork ribs. I set the crock on high
and will let it cook most of the day til it falls
apart. Then will cut up the last of my potatoes ($1.00 about 1/3rd
of a 10 pound bag),
skins and all and boil them up. I'll
mash them up and serve the bq pork (shredded up) over top.

This will easily make 10 servings or 2 meals and 2 single lunches.
Total cost to make $4.26.
Cost per serving .42 cents each.

----------------------------------------------------


My friend requested a Pickled Eggs recipe.


8-12 eggs
1- 15 ounce can, sliced beets with liquid
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 cup white or brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 whole cloves (optional)
onion slices (optional)


In a small saucepan combine beets, vinegar, sugar,
water and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and stir
until sugar has dissolved.

Place 8 hard boiled eggs (peeled) in a large jar
(plastic or glass, no metal)
and pour beets and liquid over top of eggs.
Seal and put in fridge for a couple days.
The more it sits the better it is absorbed into the eggs.

------------------------------------------------

4:45pm

I haven't been on much today. It has not been a good
day for muscle aches and pains. I'd hate to see
what I'd feel like if I hadn't taken any Tylenol
because my muscles are sore all over from neck
to arms, back, hips and legs. I don't know
what all these pains are about but I'm going to
let doc know once again when I go back Friday
because it's really, really bothering me to the point
I don't want to do much of anything! Something is
causing all the muscle aches and pains and I haven't
figure out what. I felt like doc ignored me when I told
him during my last visit because he didn't note
it in my file or paperwork I got saying that was
one of my symptoms. I could have cared less about
all the diarrhea I'd been having. It was all the pain
I've been dealing with that actually got me to make
the appointment.

I'm trying to research to see if body aches and pains
could be related to irritable bowel syndrome.
And the first article I read said that in 60%
of IBS cases those people get fibromyalgia.
Mom had been wondering if that's what else I might have.

I don't know what to think but I do know my own body better than any doctor.
I research everything, all symptoms I have, and try to see
if I can somehow link it all together.
In my research with most of my symptoms and diagnosis'
so far I keep seeing anxiety, panic attacks and things
of that sort. So I'm now wondering if these panic attacks
that I've had since about 1996 are somehow linked to
the problems I have now.

----------------------------------------------

Since cutting up and boiling potatoes for mashed
potatoes for supper I got to thinking about possibly
dehydrating potatoes in the near future. I'm always
thinking of ways to preserve food longer. I've read
that food price could keep rising so why not buy
them now and find ways to preserve them
til hopefully the prices start to come back down.
And if the food prices still continue to rise you'll
be able to have your own stockpile of ones that cost
you less. Or think of it this way, you will have your
own emergency food supply that only needs hydrated with
water!

I've seen 10 pound bags of potatoes increase in price
by $1.00 in the past several months. Potatoes are
a main staple in our home so I need to find ways
to stockpile them.

Life span of dehydrated vegetables is 8-10 years
with temps around 70 degrees. Even longer
if temperatures are lower than that. You need to put them
in air tight containers or use those bags that remove
any air from them.

I found this video about how to dehydrate potatoes
as there are some steps you need to follow
or your potatoes will turn black.
I loved the tip this lady had about using plastic
canvas to help make more trays for the potatoes
in her food dehydrator. I might be trying that since
I have some plastic canvas.


If you do make dehydrated potato slices here are a few
prepackaged potato mixes you can add to them-

Basic Sauce Mix

2 Tbsp. Nonfat Dry Milk

2 Tbsp. Flour

2 Tbsp. Cornstarch

1 tsp. Onion Powder or 1 Tbsp. Crushed Dried Onions

1/8 tsp. Black Pepper

Combine the above ingredients to make 1 package of sauce mix and seal it in a small zip baggie, removing as much air as possible. When making several mixes to store or give as gifts, multiply this sauce mix recipe and store in a jar until ready for use. 6 Tbsp. Sauce Mix is equal to 1 x the above recipe.

Yield: 3 cups or four 3/4 cups servings

-----------

Scalloped Potato Mix in a Jar

3 cups dehydrated Potatoes

1 package (6 Tbsp.) Sauce Mix

1/3 cup Nonfat Dry Milk

Place these ingredients into a one quart jar, making certain the sauce mix and dry milk are first placed into small zip baggies, then sealed with the air removed. Place the potatoes into the bottom of the jar, then add the baggie of mix on top. Place lid on jar and store in a cool dry place until ready to use. Attach the following instructions for later use, or for gift giving:

Scalloped Potatoes

3 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine

2-3/4 cups boiling Water

Pour the potatoes into a medium size ungreased casserole and sprinkle the sauce mix on top. Dot with butter; stir in the boiling water. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. If you are cooking something else at a lower temperature in your oven, adjust the baking time; at 350 degrees bake 40 to 45 minutes; at 325 degrees bake 50 to 55 minutes.

-------------

Skillet Meat and Potatoes Casserole Mix in a Jar

3 cups dehydrated Potatoes

1/3 cup Nonfat Dry Milk

1 package (6 Tbsp.) Sauce Mix

1/4 tsp. Black Pepper

1/2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Beef Bouillon Granules

Place above ingredients into a quart jar, placing milk, sauce mix, pepper, salt & bouillon granules into a small zip baggie, which will be placed on top of potatoes in the jar. Place lid on jar & store in a cool dry place until ready to use. Attach the following instructions for later use, or for gift giving:


Skillet Meat & Potatoes Casserole

Brown 1 pound of ground beef in a skillet, and drain off excess fat. Stir in 2 3/4 cups water and the ingredients from the jar. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring now and then, for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Yield: 4 one cup servings


------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment